Access Learning Labs are our approach to Christian education. Labs are designed as learning environments that engage great content with the many ways that people learn. When this happens, information isn't simply downloaded from teacher to student; learning actually happens and people begin to grow as followers of Jesus. We call them "labs" because labs are where you put theories to the test. Where knowledge moves into practice. Labs are hands-on and interactive.
- Great content combined with various teaching styles - some learn by hearing a lecture, others learn by doing something active. Labs will vary in format, but they'll engage various learning styles.
- Short-term - one day to one semester. Labs are a great way to meet new people and journey with them around a specific topic for a period of time. In other words, labs aren’t meant to replace plugging into a small group.
- Clear formational objectives - labs will emphasize wisdom, not just knowledge; responding to truth, not just hearing it. Our labs will have a clear discipleship purpose in mind.
- Biblically and theologically anchored - even when we draw from sources outside of the Bible, learning labs are distinctively grounded in a Christian worldview, and will be taught from that lens.
Winter 2018 Learning Labs
- Description: More than a personality test that describes our strengths and weaknesses, the Enneagram examines the virtues, motivators, defense mechanisms, and "deadly sins" that lie underneath the surface. Each registrant will take an online WEPSS Enneagram assessment in advance of the workshop. With detailed and personalized results in hand, we'll spend the morning together exploring the self-discovery insights offered by this ancient tool.
- Meeting date: Saturday, April 28 from 9:00AM-12:30PM
- Location: The Fellowship
- Taught by: David Wu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Cost: $49 (includes cost of WEPSS Enneagram Assessment)
- Registration: https://leadershiptransformations.wufoo.com/forms/the-enneagram-workshop/
Foundations of the Christian Faith
- Description: In this interactive six-week learning lab, we will cover the basic tenets of the Christian faith, as well as provide participants an opportunity to ask and interact with one another’s honest faith questions in an atmosphere of safety and mutual respect.
- Meeting dates: Monday evenings, from 7:15pm - 8:15pm by video conference (Zoom) (2/19, 2/26, 3/5, 3/12, 3/19, 3/26)
- Taught by:
The Marriage Lab
- Description: What are the postures, beliefs, and practices that make for a healthy marriage? The Marriage Lab is perfect as a pre-engagement/pre-marital preparation class or for couples already married but looking for a refresher around the hard-to-master basics. Upon completion, couples will have the opportunity to pursue further individualized premarital preparation via the Enneagram, SYMBIS, and Prepare/Enrich.
- Requirements: In order to maximize sharing and learning, couple are asked to commit to attending three out of the four sessions. Please check your calendar before signing up.
- Meeting dates:
- Mar 3, 1:00 - 3:00 PM - Remember Your Covenant
- Mar 24, 9:00 - 12:00 PM - Defined and Connected
- April 21, 1:00 - 3:00 PM - Killer Conflict
- May 12, 10:00 - 12:00 PM - Great Expectations
- Taught by: John and Grace Lin, David and Cindy Wu, and special guest, Trisha Taylor.
Access Pathways: A Guide to Growing in your life with God
- Description: Soul, community and mission are at the heart of what we’re trying to do at Access. In this learning lab, mission partners are guided into a deeper understanding of what following Jesus looks like in these three crucial areas. This learning lab is interactive, discussion-based, and communal. Open and encouraged for all mission partners.
- Meeting date: Saturday, March 10, 1:00 - 4:00 PM
- Location: Access
- Taught by: John Lin (email@example.com)
- Track: Leadership and Equipping Track
Defined and Connected: How to Love without Losing Yourself
- Description: Your in-laws. Your parents. Your spouse. Your cherished friendships. Navigating the relationships that matter most to us as adults requires more than good intentions. We need to develop strong guiding principles that can help us do more than coexist, avoid, or just accommodate. Join us as we learn principles that are true relationship game-changers! You won't want to miss this!
- Meeting dates: Saturday, March 24 from 9:00 - 12:00 PM
- Taught by: John Lin and special guest, Trisha Taylor. Trisha is a favorite of Access. She is a licensed counselor and therapist, an ordained minister, and one of the pioneers of Faithwalking.
Race and Society Learning Lab
- Description: Join us for our "Race and Society" Learning Lab on Sunday, April 22 from 1-3 pm. In this follow-up to our previous "Race and Identity" and "Race and Community" Labs, this third Lab will focus on learning about structural racism, how we fit into it, and what we can do about it as God's people. Sign up here to attend. Please indicate in the comments of the form if you want lunch.
- Meeting dates: Sun, April 22 from 1-3 pm
- Taught by: Phoebe and RECing Crew